Pages

Mr Yen Monday - Honesty

posted on: Monday, 15 July 2013



Well today I'm working on new photographs of products and editing my product descriptions while thinking about avenues for revenue for Mr Yen now that I'm doing this as a full time job.

Now, I really appreciate honest from businesses and people in general, so I'm about to be honest with you....

Please don't read this as a moan or being negative, because I see it as a positive way of analysing what is going on with the business, right now, and I thought you might find it interesting to read too, as no other online business I know of ever mentions these things...and if you are another online business just starting out and reading this I hope you read something you can relate to.

***

I must admit (which I don't know if I should really be saying this) that it has been quite quiet on the sales front of things last week, and by that I mean none, which normally would be fine, but now this is my full time job that seems quite scary.

On one hand, I feel slightly panicky that it is this way, but on the other, I feel this is completely normal as I've only really been fully self employed for two and a bit weeks, and I know realistically that these things take time.

I feel as though there is something I'm doing wrong, or not doing enough of or like I'm focusing my time on the wrong things and sometimes it can be a little bit scary, knowing that everything that happens is down to me. 

Yep, there's no boss to complain about, as it's just me, there's no other departments that should be doing their job quicker or better, as it's just me, and at the end of the day when I look back on what I've completed that day, if I'm not satisfied with what's been completed, then who's fault is that....mine.

SO...

My next move in this kind of situation is simply, to just keep moving forwards, test, experiment, play around, work hard and share what I get up to and hope that there are honest people out there who give honest feedback, because believe me, I can take it, heck - I want and need it!

Which brings me on to my next point...

What kind of papercut designs would you like to see, and, what kind of papercut items would you like to buy and gladly hand over your hard earned cash for? 

Do you like mugs with papercut designs on? Do you love sending greeting cards with papercut designs on? Do you love huge statement wall art pieces that are so detailed and delicate that people just say "Wow!" as soon as they walk into your house and see it on your wall? These are all the things I ask myself and as I am excited to create all these things, and I have the time, energy and focus to do so, I want to do all of them and make sure that I make the papercut thing that you most want.

Now, I realise this sounds a little too honest, and people will be saying "Did he really just say that?!" BUT my goal really is to create beautiful pieces of art that make you feel something.

I want you to love your papercut design and I want you to be so proud of it that it's the first thing you want to mention when you meet up with your friends. 

My aim, goal, and whole point of creating papercut designs, is to give you something that you love, that you want to cherish for years to come and for you to be so in love with your piece that you want to display it proudly for all to see, plus it needs to be affordable and something that speaks to you personally.

When you buy a piece of Mr Yen art, I want you to feel like "This describes me perfectly and I want everyone to know how I feel"

***

So......that's my brain right now - and I've got lots of other ideas running around my head too - I think it's time I just get on with things and I hope it's not just me that has these thoughts and feelings. 

I hope to see you back here for a Tuesday treats post tomorrow!

8 comments:

  1. Hey Jonathan,

    I have been in business a few years now and I have to say that this time of year is the worst for retail! I usually use this time to churn out new designs and catch up with friends before the Christmas period hits!

    Chin up! Soon the sales will be coming in again. I'm sure of it. You do such lovely work

    Michelle
    Bok Bok B'Gerk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle,

      Thank you so much for the comments!

      I experienced slow sales during summer before, so I know that the weather and time of year has something to do with it - roll on the Christmas period! ^_^

      Delete
  2. Hiya, it's definitely not just you! Thank you for your honesty as this is what binds us all together as solopreneurs/small business owners, or whatever phrase suits.

    I think you're taking the right approach i.e. asking your customers what they want and letting them know that you're still working on new ideas and are still positive and passionate about your art.

    I've bet you've learnt a lot in the two weeks since doing this full time and I'm there's lots more to learn. Keep being passionate and sharing that with us and it will all work out :-))

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      You're welcome - I think being honest about these things is best as I don't see the point in pretending everything is 100% sunshine and smiles : )

      Oh and I have indeed learnt a lot in the last two weeks ^_^

      Delete
  3. Hi!
    Yes it's scary when everything is down to you and there never seem to be enough hours in the day and the list of things to do is endless BUT - and it's a BIG but - it's great to be in charge of your own work life and to have the freedom to do the things you want to do! I've been in business for 2 years now and I'm still learning and experimenting and I am full of ideas for new things I want to do. Prioritising is always a challenge for me and I know I don't always get it right.... Have fun with it! I look forward to seeing your lovely business blossom even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      I do agree, all money/product issues aside, I have never felt better! : D
      Thanks for the support!

      Delete
  4. It is scary as all hell, and it is good to admit that and then do something with that feeling.
    I think you could start selling prints of your more elaborate paper cuts and or mugs or cards. This would open you up to a market that is bigger than what you currently have.

    While your paper cuts are amazing for the most part they are expensive. They are a totally work of art but for the most part I think if people are going come across something on the internet and purchase it they might be more apt to jump if the price was a bit more inexpensive.

    I think if you did this you would also find you would be able to possibly more more into wholesaling your items if you were interested in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,

      Thanks so much for the honest and helpful feedback. I can understand why certain papercuts might seem expensive, but for original papercut pieces that take quite some time to cut I think they are fairly priced...I do however 100% agree with you on making my items more accessible to more people and I'm currently looking into getting prints of my more expensive papercuts printed this week and other designs printed as cards too.

      Thank you so much for your honesty and feedback about pricing as it's something that I've thought myself, so it's good to know it's not just me ^_^

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

. All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger