Pages

Mr Yen and Oprah Magazine!

posted on: Wednesday, 16 January 2013


All Photographs by Chris Court
Paper cuts by Mr Yen
Text by Kate Christensen
Recipes by Steve Corry

Happy New Year!

I'm back in business and ready to get stuck into 2013 - I hope you all had a great Christmas and a very happy new year!

I have some very exciting news to share with you, which some of you might already know if you subscribe to a certain magazine....but to be more specific OPRAH MAGAZINE! (sorry for the caps, but I feel like I'm about to burst with excitement and pride!)

Yes, it's true, Mr Yen paper cuts are featured in the February edition of O, Oprah Magazine and I'm so excited, proud, thrilled, nervous, elated and absolutely beaming with a constant smile!

How it came to be....

Back in November of 2012, I was contacted by the lovely, fantastic and completely wonderful people from Oprah magazine as they were very interested in me creating some pieces for a very special Valentines story for the February edition of the magazine. I was initially thrilled, nervous and excited all at once and actually thought for a second that it was a just an enquiry that could have come from an impostor...until I received a phone call.

Now, I, like quite a lot of people, can be quite apprehensive when speaking to people over the phone - especially with someone as big a client as Oprah magazine! I was so nervous and excited throughout the whole conversation and I could feel my heart beating so fast and so loud...I was talking to OPRAH MAGAZINE!

So, after discussing what would need to be created for the story, I made a start immediately and the whole experience was fantastic. This is the reason I love paper cuts and this is the reason I love having my own business!

I finished the paper cuts (after several late nights...and a few all nighters) and sent them off to New York by next day delivery, to get them there in time for the photo shoot. I then sat patiently waiting until I could reveal my involvement and show the designs I created, along with the imagery that is featured in the magazine and here we are today!

I am so pleased an excited to be featured in Oprah magazine and I'm really excited to see what else 2013 has in store for Mr Yen and my paper cuts!

The paper cut featured on the title page of the editorial is available in the Mr Yen shop here.


12 comments:

  1. Dude, this is AMAZING! Congratulations on the fantastic project for O Magazine and here's to a bright 2013 with loads more great projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm so excited to finally share this! ^_^

      Delete
  2. Now THIS is a great way to start a new year, eh?! Well done, Mister!!! And, I might add, well deserved. Can't wait to see the feature... one of many to come, no doubt. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I really appreciate that! I hope it brings great things : )

      Delete
  3. Congratulations - I have been following what you have been up to for a while and it is nice to see someone enjoy their success after a lot of hard work, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It means a lot to hear things like that and it makes all the hard work worth it ^_^

      Delete
  4. Yeh! Fantastic looks A-mazing! Jax x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful! You should be proud! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad I found your blog so I could congratulate, compliment, and thank you. Your paper cuts are amazing. A friend of mine said, "Nice essay, but the visuals are fantastic!" Your work makes the layout something extraordinary. with admiration, Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate!

      Thanks so much for stopping by and for all the kind words! I'm so pleased with how the piece turned out and I love your essay too!

      Say thank you to your friend for me too ^_^

      Delete
  7. ai ai ai congratulations! these are lovely. just found you via flowerona, and mighty glad I did. you totally deserved the success of that project, may there be many more. (and may I have one of your papercuts dangling sweetly off my studio pinning board in the near future - I'm off to find out if you sell them.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanja,

      Thanks for the compliment!

      I do sell my papercuts here - http://www.shop.mr-yen.com/ but I still have to photograph the tiny silhouettes, papercut feathers and napkin rings from the Oprah feature before I list them for sale : )

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

. All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger